It seems like I'm losing a lot of battles these days. I know that TV for children under the age of 2 is a big NO NO. I recall once learning in my child development classes that it can be a huge risk factor for ADD (don't have that verified). But I find myself resorting to cartoons every few days. Yousef LOVES Sesame Street. He doesn't seem to like Calliou or anything fully animated. He loves the puppets on Sesame street (can't blame him!).
The first time I tried it was when I needed to study and he wouldn't leave me alone. So I set him up with snacks in the high chair and turned on my laptop. The rest is history. I also noticed he ate a little more when he was watching it (he already gives me a hard enough time eating!). I can BARELY resist it when he comes up to me and said "coon" because he wants to watch cartoons. So cute! I now only use it for no more than 30 mins at a time (well, per day, only 2 or 3 days a week) and if I need a mental or physical break. Or I just want him to eat.
Which brings me to the slippery slope part of my post. Well, first we'll discuss his eating habits. Wait, WAHT eating habits? It drives me NUTS! I feel like a failure when he refuses to eat. I absolutely HATE this phase. All the things he once loved he won't eat anymore:( His eating is very sporadic and limited. He loves rice and molokheyya (egyptian soup we eat on rice), used to love PB sandwiches (now he just licks off the peanut butter), used to love broccoli (doesn't care for it much), and LOVES LOVES LOVES meat and chicken. Yousef also likes to eat yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal for breakfast. Usually this is the only meal of the day he actually eats.
Someone asked me if he snacks a lot. Honestly, I'm not sure I know the answer to that question. I tried the whole "no snacks so he'll get hungry" thing but it was hard. And it didn't always work. So he DOES snack a bit (veggie chips, peanut butter crackers, raisins). I try to keep it healthy. Well, I do. No more comments on that. :-P
Anyway, the true slippery slope we are on is drinks. He barely wants to drink water. And thanks to many people around him, he LOVES pepsi and cokes. I really wanted to avoid this for as long as possible. I NEVER give it to him willingly or in his own cup--it's only sips here and there. But what he also likes a bit too much is juice. TOO MUCH SUGAR! And when he does drink water, it's rare or straight out of the bath tub (gross!).
Ok, I'm starting to think this post is whiny. I don't mean to whine. I'm just expressing my concerns of late and honestly looking for any pointers!
Anyway. On to the slides part of our post. Islam and I took Yousef to the new park in Mont Belvieu (small town east of Baytown--yes, my Houston friends, there is life beyond Baytown!!!!). It's a really nice park and he had a BLAST! It was my husband's first time to really go with us to the park since the weather's just now getting lovely and Yousef didn't quite get the whole park thing when he was younger. We had a picnic at the park and played for almost and hour and a half. Here are a few pictures I took (I tried messing around with the camera to get some good shots, but I don't have skills YET) :)
The first time I tried it was when I needed to study and he wouldn't leave me alone. So I set him up with snacks in the high chair and turned on my laptop. The rest is history. I also noticed he ate a little more when he was watching it (he already gives me a hard enough time eating!). I can BARELY resist it when he comes up to me and said "coon" because he wants to watch cartoons. So cute! I now only use it for no more than 30 mins at a time (well, per day, only 2 or 3 days a week) and if I need a mental or physical break. Or I just want him to eat.
Which brings me to the slippery slope part of my post. Well, first we'll discuss his eating habits. Wait, WAHT eating habits? It drives me NUTS! I feel like a failure when he refuses to eat. I absolutely HATE this phase. All the things he once loved he won't eat anymore:( His eating is very sporadic and limited. He loves rice and molokheyya (egyptian soup we eat on rice), used to love PB sandwiches (now he just licks off the peanut butter), used to love broccoli (doesn't care for it much), and LOVES LOVES LOVES meat and chicken. Yousef also likes to eat yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal for breakfast. Usually this is the only meal of the day he actually eats.
Someone asked me if he snacks a lot. Honestly, I'm not sure I know the answer to that question. I tried the whole "no snacks so he'll get hungry" thing but it was hard. And it didn't always work. So he DOES snack a bit (veggie chips, peanut butter crackers, raisins). I try to keep it healthy. Well, I do. No more comments on that. :-P
Anyway, the true slippery slope we are on is drinks. He barely wants to drink water. And thanks to many people around him, he LOVES pepsi and cokes. I really wanted to avoid this for as long as possible. I NEVER give it to him willingly or in his own cup--it's only sips here and there. But what he also likes a bit too much is juice. TOO MUCH SUGAR! And when he does drink water, it's rare or straight out of the bath tub (gross!).
Ok, I'm starting to think this post is whiny. I don't mean to whine. I'm just expressing my concerns of late and honestly looking for any pointers!
Anyway. On to the slides part of our post. Islam and I took Yousef to the new park in Mont Belvieu (small town east of Baytown--yes, my Houston friends, there is life beyond Baytown!!!!). It's a really nice park and he had a BLAST! It was my husband's first time to really go with us to the park since the weather's just now getting lovely and Yousef didn't quite get the whole park thing when he was younger. We had a picnic at the park and played for almost and hour and a half. Here are a few pictures I took (I tried messing around with the camera to get some good shots, but I don't have skills YET) :)
such a neat swing!
slides are my favorite!
dad, you're so awesome!
mom's favorite shot!
"but i don't wanna leeeeave!"
out like a lightbulb after a good play and a good cry
mommy loves you!
Ok, toodles for now! Can't wait to start a new week and have more adventures:)
Addendum: my first edit! (using my mac, nothing special... let me know what you think!)






Yusra, your pics are getting so good!!! I love the one of him going down the slide, so cute!!
ReplyDeleteAs for the food... it's a phase, right? That's what everyone tells me anyway. :)
Cute shots!
ReplyDeletelove the photos!!
ReplyDelete--Mona