Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mechanic Shops and Cupcakes

I'm looking for a place to record my memories.  I've started this blog to do just that.... If you're looking for profound mommy advice or deep thoughts, you are probably in the wrong place.  I've mostly started this to keep a record of my child(ren) growing up.  But you're thinking, well, Yusra, you're just 17 months too late?  Well 17 months late it is... you know as that cliche goes, "better late than never!"

A little bit about me: I'm 24, mother of Yousef (17 months), a teacher by degree and 2 years experience, a daughter to two amazing parents, a sister to four other wonderful ladies, a wife to my husband Mohamed, and an American-born-and-raised Egyptian Muslim. Phew, so many identities!  But overall, I see myself as a fun-loving person who is somewhat particular (yet so unorganized) and a lilttle competitive (taboo opponents would LAUGH at "a little competitive").  I'm a lot of thing, but this blog will mostly be about my life as a mom.

So, since I'm 17 months late, let's get you up to speed:

My son, Yousef, was born October 7, 2009 (seems so long ago!) at 11:30 pm.  The month that follows was, and still is, a blur.  I recall sleepless nights, random feedings, frustration, elation, mild relaxation (thanks grandma(s)!), and a strength in me that I honestly never knew I had.  Through the immense exhaustion, I found a part of me that was still glad to be waking up 4 or 5 times overnight to keep this lil guy happy and well-fed.  I felt so blessed and honored to have gotten this opportunity to care about something other than myself.  I felt that I had been entrusted by God with a responsibility so great that He says "Heaven is under the feet of mothers."  WOW.  I had been chosen (not planned) to become a mother.  Surely God would not give me a task I cannot handle.  So I decided to truck on, through the exhaustion and practical mental incapacity to ensure that I completed the job entrusted in me, to raise my son a God-fearing and productive human being.  By the way, most of you know, that's a lifetime job and I'm still being employed. :)

A few of Yousef's milestones and triumphs:
-He was lifting his head while we were still AT the hospital, mashaAllah
-He loved sleeping on his stomach (<--most Drs and magazines will warn you against this, but it worked for us!)
-He got his first tooth at 4.5 months (and the rest followed quickly after)
-He wasn't big on solid foods (even though I thought he wanted them because he was a hungry hungry hippo) until 6 months
-He started using sign language around 7 months (signs he knew and used: more/again, milk, bath)
-He walked at 12.5 months, two weeks after his first birthday

Things Yousef says:
-baba (first word)
-mama
-dido (gido=grandpa)
-tata (teita=grandma, dad's side)
 -nana (grandma mom's side)
-dadda (car, this has nothing to do with car in arabic or english, and even though he says "cai" and "bia" [arabiya=car in arabic] he uses it anyway)
-no, no, no (any explanation needed?)
-nano (sinano=teeth in arabic)
-dih (this)
-tany (more-started 3/28/2011)
-appa (pick me up)

Things Yousef can do/loves to do:
-Point to hair, stomach, hand, foot, eyes, nose, mouth, butt
-Play with cars (do boys come pre-wired?)
-Play with balls (again, prewired?)
-Likes to read books, understand when I tell him to put one book back and get another
-LOVES. TO. DANCE.
-Loves anything with buttons (cell phones, laptops preferred. special place in his heart for the IPad)

That's all I can think of now!

Let's see. Today is March 29, my mom's birthday.  We came to spend the day with her.  I stopped by Sugarbaby's cupcakes to get her a few cupcakes for the occasion.  As soon as we got out of the car, Yousef saw a mechanic shop across the street.  He pointed to it and started saying "baba! baba!" Those of you who know me, know my husband owns two mechanic shops.  I was amazed that he was able to recognize what a mechanic shop looks like in a completely different place and in a different context.  These lil guys surprise me.  Babies are way smarter than we give them credit for. 

Especially Yousef.  He knows how to manipulate people.  He knows who will give him what he wants and who will let him get away with ANYTHING.  I don't need to mention any names--most moms can relate!

Ok, I think I've written enough for my first post.  I'll be updating as often as I can--but it will be tough with two classes and baby two on the way (June 8, fingers crossed!).  I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing:)

5 comments:

  1. great start yusra! you forgot one minor detail....expecting #2 in june!!

    -yaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its there! Second to last sentence:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post. Can we work on him saying mariem or mima 7atta? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, mama Yusra :) I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and knowing more about your and your family. I laughed @ your comment "a little competitive" - one of the traits I really like about you btw :) I'm your 1st follower hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyy!!! Glad you have a blog!!

    ReplyDelete