So I've finally taken the plunge and sent Yousef to school. I had major reservations about doing so, but I finally decided it was time.
For one, I was worried that as soon as he started school he would forget Arabic and only use English. But, that's already happened anyway. I mean seriously, how did my parents teach me to speak, read, and write Arabic? I'll keep working with him. And now that he's learning his alphabet in school, I should start my own program with him at home for Arabic. Any Arab or Muslim moms out there have any suggestions on where/how to start?
Then I was also worried he wouldn't be able to communicate with me if something was wrong. But he can talk. And he does. All. The. Time (MashaAllah). So I'm not worried there.
But my biggest worry was him getting sick all the time. It's inevitable, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, his first day wasn't too bad. I spent the first fifteen minutes or so with him discovering the different centers he would play in. Then it was time to line up with his teacher, so I gave him a kiss and told him I'd miss him and I'd be back and I walked away. It broke my heart. But not nearly as much as the look he gave me as I walked away as if to say "You're not supposed to leave, where are you going???"
The rest of the days was full of ups and downs. He cried on and off and he had two accidents (still getting adjusted I assume, since he's been well potty trained for over three weeks now!). But he survived! And so did I.
And it's a good thing he was at school yesterday when I went to Phonecia downtown with Lana--and they only had the small shopping carts that didn't seat children. That would have been a disaster of epic proportions. On the bright side I got a bit of an arm work out carrying Lana on one arm and pushing my shopping cart with the other. After all, I haven't work out since Ramadan started two and a half weeks ago! I digress...
While Yousef is away at school for four hours, I plan to spend more time with the little munchkin and just get more stuff done around the house! Oh and study for the Reading Specialist exam I have coming up in October. Wish me luck!
For one, I was worried that as soon as he started school he would forget Arabic and only use English. But, that's already happened anyway. I mean seriously, how did my parents teach me to speak, read, and write Arabic? I'll keep working with him. And now that he's learning his alphabet in school, I should start my own program with him at home for Arabic. Any Arab or Muslim moms out there have any suggestions on where/how to start?
Then I was also worried he wouldn't be able to communicate with me if something was wrong. But he can talk. And he does. All. The. Time (MashaAllah). So I'm not worried there.
But my biggest worry was him getting sick all the time. It's inevitable, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, his first day wasn't too bad. I spent the first fifteen minutes or so with him discovering the different centers he would play in. Then it was time to line up with his teacher, so I gave him a kiss and told him I'd miss him and I'd be back and I walked away. It broke my heart. But not nearly as much as the look he gave me as I walked away as if to say "You're not supposed to leave, where are you going???"
The rest of the days was full of ups and downs. He cried on and off and he had two accidents (still getting adjusted I assume, since he's been well potty trained for over three weeks now!). But he survived! And so did I.
And it's a good thing he was at school yesterday when I went to Phonecia downtown with Lana--and they only had the small shopping carts that didn't seat children. That would have been a disaster of epic proportions. On the bright side I got a bit of an arm work out carrying Lana on one arm and pushing my shopping cart with the other. After all, I haven't work out since Ramadan started two and a half weeks ago! I digress...
While Yousef is away at school for four hours, I plan to spend more time with the little munchkin and just get more stuff done around the house! Oh and study for the Reading Specialist exam I have coming up in October. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment